These are divine. A cross between cinnamon toast (which I have newly discovered I absolutely love). This is (with some minor adjustments) a half recipe of the one in Pioneer Woman’s “French Pastry Puffs” recipe. I thought the name Cinnamon Toast Muffins was more descriptive. You be the judge.
I’ve made these a few times now, but after the initial endeavor (documented by these pictures) I’ve only been dipping the top parts in the cinnamon sugar. According to Neil, this makes for a better “This Side Up” muffin.
Let’s get goin.
1. Spray your muffin tin just like this. An explosion in the morning is just what you need to wake you up!
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together and set aside.
3. Now, get out this. This is what will make these muffins fabulous.
4. Cream together the shortening and the sugar. It will look something like this.
5. Add in the egg and beat it, just beat it…
6. Get out your 12 mini muffins, muffin pan (clean off the mess first please) and fill ‘em up!
7. Set in the oven for about 20 minutes, then remove and let them cool just a bit.
8. Get your dunking stations ready.
I like to keep the muffins in a little towel just to keep them a bit warmer than they would have been just sitting on a cold counter. These muffins are totally cruelty free.
9. Dunk either the tops or the entire muffin in the melted butter and then roll it around in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
Eat these immediately! Go.
Don’t be alarmed if this happens only moments after you’ve set them on the plate. Cinnamon sugar is attractive like that.