This is what we ate our chili with the other night!
I have a confession, though. I forgot the salt in this recipe, so I slathered the butter on afterward…which I would have done anyways. They came out nice and moist, I’m a microwave believer now!
So without further ado:
Hey. Psst. I had to look up how to spell “without further ado”, and I found many many forums that debated whether it’s actually “without further adieu” or “without further a-do” or “without further ado”, my favorite however, is “sans plus de cérémonie”. Oh how posh that sounds!
6 minute Microwave Cornbread
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable shortening (Crisco), or regular ol’ butter
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup buttermilk (3/4 cup milk minus one tablespoon, plus 1/2 tbsp white vinegar and let it sit for 10 mins)
1/3 cup milk
1. Melt the shortening.
2. Measure out your cornmeal. My mom gave me these jars. Aren’t they beautiful??
3. Combine with flour and baking soda and baking powder and salt! Don’t be like me, remember the salt.
4. Add the milks and egg and mix.
5. Prepare your dish, or dishes in my case. I really really like these Pyrex bowls.
6. Fill about halfway and microwave 6 minutes. Of course, be rotating it halfway through the cook time if you don’t have a rotating tray!
7. Remove and let it sit for five minutes, covered.
Pop them out of the dish and eat it with something goopy and wonderful like chili!